kidcallipygian asked: SUP UNKS! I’m a Christian woman, living my 20-year-old life, and I recently realized that when I meet a Christian guy, I first see them as “potential boyfriend/husband material”. It’s only after I get to know them, that I truly see them as brothers in Christ. I feel this is really bad for me, and I want to change this way of thinking, because it promotes NOT guarding your heart. How do I change?
Unka Glen answered: Ah the guarding your heart thing… Quick update: people in Biblical times thought you did your thinking with your heart, not your brain, and that did your feeling with your stomach (like how you get butterflies in your stomach when you see a hot guy).
The Hebrew word used in Proverbs 4:23, is translated 36 times elsewhere in the Bible as “mind”. As in, guard your mind. And what are we supposed to be guarding our minds from in Proverbs 4? A lack of Godly wisdom. Like the kind of situation where someone misuses a verse that has nothing to do with our romantic lives.
You don’t need to protect your heart from love.
The other problem here is simple. You SEE a guy, and take in all sorts of information about how he looks, long before you get a chance to find out how he really is inside. You can’t look at a guy from across a crowded room and say, “Mmm girl, he looks like he’s totally saved and sanctified! MMM yeah, work it.”
I mean you could say that, but it would be super creepy.
What happens is that you see a hot guy and you quickly pray the age old single woman’s prayer: “Please Lord let him be saved, please, please, please, no girlfriend, no girlfriend, no girlfriend.” Does it seem like the priorities are backward here? Yeah. But that’s just the order information arrives in. It’s easy enough to correct those priorities afterwards.
As I mentioned on a recent episode of our podcast, you may have often heard someone give their testimony about how they were drawn to a person spiritually, and then got to know them a emotionally, and then just happened to notice some time later, “hey, guess what, this person is actually super-hot!” Yeah right.
That’s stretching the truth way past the breaking point. That’s just not how life works with us humans. When I saw my wife for the first time I said, “Lord, I’d rather watch this woman walk, than eat fried chicken” (a statement I’d still go by). What I (fortunately) discovered afterwards, was an awesome woman of God.
When we were dating we kept our priorities where they needed to be, for sure. But we also knew that physical attraction and romance and agape love can easily go hand in hand. We didn’t need to worry about one spoiling the others.
- nadeh likes this
- chiisuchi reblogged this from unkaglen and added:
- whittweet likes this
- chiisuchi likes this
- awaiteternalpromise likes this
- sapphireblues likes this
- skulliosisrainbows reblogged this from tipofthescepter
- omnam likes this
- indescribablesavior reblogged this from unkaglen
- thenitstimetogo likes this
- catholedigger likes this
- reignitethe-sun likes this
- ssaii likes this
- seojinn likes this
- ellebang likes this
- namesake likes this
- ashfrem likes this
- mmrn likes this
- that-texas-girl likes this
- tipofthescepter reblogged this from unkaglen
- tipofthescepter likes this
- art-diary likes this
- theplainjane likes this
- mynameiscolton likes this
- hbrewer likes this
- pancakesandquesadillas likes this
- kidcallipygian likes this
- jenniecatherine likes this
- hisdivinelove likes this
- moving-christianveganqueer reblogged this from unkaglen
- thislife-isyours likes this
- krrristie likes this
- bluelikejazzminds likes this
- staygoldencece likes this
- perpetually-spring likes this
- walkingcringemoment likes this
- intricatelysimple likes this
- guidedbygandalf likes this
- papermachecreation likes this
- teenagespacebucket likes this
- nicoleesings likes this
- holyhotnessbypvi reblogged this from unkaglen
- holyhotnessbypvi likes this
- lanea-marie likes this
- mamaleh6994 likes this
- unkaglen posted this